This article has been fact checked by an experienced birth injury attorney. Sources of information for the article are listed at the bottom.
For any content issues please Contact Us.
Medical mistakes all too often cause cerebral palsy and resulting disabilities. An experienced lawyer will review your case and help you hold those medical professionals accountable. Anchorage cerebral palsy lawyers are available to help your family take legal action and recover damages.
Cerebral Palsy and Medical Malpractice in Anchorage
Cerebral palsy is a common childhood disability. It results from brain damage or abnormal brain development. Most children develop cerebral palsy as a result of complications of pregnancy or labor and delivery. Less commonly, a traumatic brain injury can cause the condition later in life.
Some of the potential risk factors and causes of the brain damage that results in cerebral palsy include:
Get Matched with a Leading Birth Injury Attorney in Your AreaGet Help Now
- Maternal infections and illness
- Prolonged, difficult labor
- Low birth weight or premature birth
- Uterine rupture during labor
- Infertility treatments
- Excessive force during delivery
- Untreated newborn jaundice
In some cases, it isn’t possible to identify a single cause or to pinpoint a doctor’s mistake that shouldn’t have happened. But for many children, a clear medical error resulted in brain damage and disabilities.
For example, excessive force used during delivery, such as with forceps, can fracture the baby’s skull and cause brain damage. A doctor might also cause cerebral palsy by failing to act. If a doctor doesn’t recognize or act on complications, the baby might suffer.
This kind of negligent care of a mother and baby might be considered medical malpractice. An anchorage lawyer can explain what this means and provide guidance.
Why Work with a Cerebral Palsy Lawyer?
If your child was born in Anchorage and received a diagnosis of cerebral palsy, they face lifelong disabilities, treatments, and care. Depending on the severity of the condition, your child might never live independently. Your family will now have much higher expenses for medical treatments, therapy, home care, and assistive devices.
Contact an Anchorage cerebral palsy lawyer to review your case. They have experience working with clients like you and know how to determine if medical malpractice caused your child’s condition. They work with medical experts to find the evidence that a doctor or other medical professional made a grave error.
One of the most essential things a cerebral palsy lawyer can do for you is getting a settlement through a cerebral palsy lawsuit. The responsible doctors or hospital should pay for the care your child now needs. An experienced lawyer can make that happen.
How to Choose an Anchorage Cerebral Palsy Lawyer
Finding the right lawyer is essential. Not all firms are the same. You need a specialist and someone with experience helping children like yours. Reputable firms offer free consultations, so you can interview several before making a choice.
Look for the following qualities in your Anchorage cerebral palsy lawyer:
- Expertise in medical malpractice
- Experience working on similar cases
- Prove wins for clients
- References from past clients with disabled children
- Contingency payment
Medical Care and Resources for Families in Anchorage
As the largest city in the state, Anchorage has excellent options for your child’s care:
The Children’s Hospital at Providence
The Children’s Hospital at Providence is the largest facility for children’s medical care in the area. The hospital offers a family-centered approach to care, involving parents in every step. Here you’ll find several departments that can provide specialized care for children with disabilities:
- Pediatric Neurodevelopment. This department coordinates with other specialists to evaluate and offer treatments for children with developmental delays and disabilities.
- Pediatric Therapy. The therapy department works with children with cerebral palsy and other conditions. Just a few of the services offered include speech and language therapy, motor skills evaluations, body mechanics training, adaptive equipment, and wheelchair consultations.
- Pediatric Subspecialties Clinic. Children with cerebral palsy need many different specialists because of associated conditions. The clinic offers services for nutrition, respiratory difficulties, kidney disease, sleep disorders, and more.
3200 Providence Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508
Alaska Dentistry for Kids
Children with special needs often struggle with appointments that are routine for other children. Alaska Dentistry for Kids specializes in pediatric dental care and working with special needs children. The space is accommodating and welcoming, and the dentists and hygienists have trained in caring for disabled children.
1389 Huffman Park Dr.
Anchorage, AK 99515
An Anchorage cerebral palsy lawyer is your best ally when confronting hospitals and doctors. They have the experience and knowledge to go up against their big legal teams and to win for you and your child.
- Providence. (n.d.) The Children's Hospital at Providence.
Retrieved from: https://www.providence.org/locations/ak/the-childrens-hospital-at-providence
- Alaska Dentistry for Kids. (n.d.). Dentistry for Children with Special Needs in Anchorage, AK.
Retrieved from: https://www.alaskadentistryforkids.com/children-with-special-needs